Sweetwater High School
Office of the Assistant Principal
2900 Highland Avenue
National City, CA 91950
Phone: (619) 474-9750
May 10, 2017
It is that time of year to begin preparing for Graduation. We are sending this memo to provide you with information pertaining to the Graduation ceremony as families prepare for this special event.
The following contains information to help make this experience a memorable and enjoyable one. Please read the enclosed material carefully.
We want to remind all Seniors that good conduct at Senior events, such as Grad Nite and Prom, and appropriate behavior at school leading to the Graduation ceremony is imperative in ensuring their participation in the ceremony. Participation in the ceremony is a privilege and not guaranteed.
Below you will find important information regarding our Senior Countdown to Graduation.
Senior Clearance Process
- ALL SENIORS MUST COMPLETE THE CLEARANCE PROCESS
- Senior Clearance Forms are available in the library and the ASB. The official first day of the Senior Clearance process begins Monday, May 22nd. However, the library is accepting textbook check-ins early for seniors no longer using their textbooks.
- The clearance process is to assure that your son/daughter 1) does not owe library books, club fines, athletic uniforms or equipment; 2) has cleared all absences and tardies; and 3) has met all the necessary requirements to graduate.
- Seniors MUST fulfill ALL SUHSD Graduation Requirements prior to being cleared. This includes the following:
- Earn the required 44 semester credits
- Complete the minimum 30 hours of community service
- Students WILL NOT be allowed into the rehearsal if the clearance form is not signed by all parties.
- Seniors must be cleared by the ASB, Library, Athletic Department and Counselors as follows:
ASB: May 22, 24, 25 = 2:45pm to 4:30pm
Library: May 8th – 25th = 7:30am-2:35pm
Counselors: Tuesday, May 30th
January – June Birthdays: 8:00am – 11am
July – December Birthdays: 12pm – 3:00pm
- Graduation Rehearsal is MANDATORY and will be held at Sweetwater High School on Wednesday, May 31st from 7:30am – 9:30am. Seniors should arrive no later than 7:00am to begin lining up for Check-In.
- Please ensure that your son/daughter has NO PRIOR commitments. Their success in the ceremony depends on their participation in the rehearsal.
- Seniors should enter through the 28th Street & F Avenue pedestrian gate and line up alongside the Tennis Courts.
- Seniors will be ushered through the Tennis Court pedestrian gate in groups to check in with Counselors prior to heading onto the field.
- Seniors will check in by alpha with their counselors at the Northeast Field Entry Gate.
- Seniors must bring their Senior Clearance Form and valid photo ID to check in with counselors before entering the field.
- Plan on being here for the entire rehearsal. Make prior arrangements with any work schedules and do not schedule any appointments.
Caps, Gowns and Tassels
- Caps and gowns will be distributed to Seniors after the Graduation Rehearsal beginning at 9:30am.
- Students that either chose to purchase a cap, gown, and tassel or borrow a cap, gown and tassel will all line up by alpha in the Dance Room after the rehearsal to pick up their items.
- The cap and gown vendor is no longer accepting orders for cap and gowns. Seniors who have not submitted their information to borrow the cap and gown or have not purchased the cap and gown may pick up a cap and gown from the vendor who will be present at the cap and gown distribution in the Dance Room after the Graduation rehearsal.
- There will be a separate table for students graduating as CSF Sealbearers. Mrs. Charles will be present to distribute your cap and gown.
- A reminder that Seniors who borrow a cap, gown, and tassel MUST return ALL three items to receive their diploma. Diploma distribution dates and times are as follows:
Monday, June 5th & Tuesday, June 6th, 8am – 12noon, Main Office
Must bring and return borrowed cap, gown and tassel to receive diploma.
MUST SHOW PICTURE ID!!!
- Our Graduation Ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 1st at 6:00pm at DeVore Stadium, Southwestern College (SWC).
- Graduates should report no later than 4:45pm. Check-In will begin promptly at 5pm.
- Graduates must bring their completed Senior Clearance form to SWC to check in with their counselors. This is their ticket into the ceremony.
- There is a designated gate for Graduates to check-in upon arrival (home side bleachers). Graduates should enter here and walk down the designated bleachers to the Staging Area.
- Graduates will be searched at Check-In. All graduates are reminded of the following:
- Do not wear cap & gown prior to checking in; Graduates should arrive with cap in hand and gown draped over their arm
- Do not wear leis/garlands of any kind – flower leis/money leis/ribbon leis/candy leis, etc.
- Only pre-approved club sashes will be allowed
- Do not decorate caps
- Do not have cell phones or any other electronic device or they will be confiscated and students will have to get in line to pick them up after the ceremony
- Do not bring a camera, purse, or any items that you have to hold
- No stiletto heels are allowed on the turf field; only wedge heels or flats are allowed. Graduates will not be allowed onto the field with stiletto heels per SWC Field Guidelines.
Graduates are expected to be dressed appropriately for the commencement ceremony and to be on their best behavior for the duration of the ceremony. Gentlemen are expected to wear dress shirts and dress pants (no T-shirts or jeans). Ladies are expected to wear a dress or dress pants and blouse (no T-shirts or jeans). All graduates should wear appropriate shoes (no flip flops or stiletto heels – wedge heels or flats only).
- Once again, our Graduation Ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 1st at 6:00pm at DeVore Stadium, Southwestern College (SWC).
- Southwestern College is located at 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA, 91910.
- The Graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 6pm and end at approximately 7:30pm. Seniors need to report by 5pm to check in with Counselors.
- Guests may begin arriving by 4pm. ASB students will be present to hand out Graduation programs and security will check guests at each entry gate to ensure prohibited items are not brought into the stadium.
- General Admission/Entry: SWC holds over 7,000 seats; you do NOT need a ticket to attend Select seating is available on a first come, first serve basis. All spectators must be seated in the stands. Field seating is only for our Graduates. There is no reserved seating and guests may not save seating for members who are not present. We ask that all guests remain seated throughout the ceremony to allow all families to see their Graduates.
- Please help us by reminding your son/daughter and your family/friends that graduation is a formal ceremony. No balloons, umbrellas, large banners/posters, hats with large brims, air horns, maracas, any other noise makers or any other item that may hinder the view and/or pleasant experience of other guests will be allowed into the stadium.
- Handicap Parking and Seating will be designated in the upper level parking area directly in front of the football stadium. If you have an official handicap placard you will need to present it to the parking attendant at SWC. If you do not have an “official” handicap placard but you need handicap assistance please see any of the SWC attendants upon arrival. Handicap seating is available at the top of the stadium bleachers on both the visitor and home side.
- General Parking is available on a first come, first serve basis. Please plan accordingly. While there is ample parking to support all our families and their guests, some walking may be required as lots closest to the stadium fill to capacity and construction continues at SWC.
- Photography: Each student will be given an order envelope when the cap and gowns are passed out in the gym. On graduation day, Creative Images will have a photo crew collecting the envelopes at the stadium. Creative Images will then print the photos and students to pick up the photos from the Creative Images Studio: 907 A Avenue, National City, CA 91950 619-764-1534.
- During the ceremony, Graduates are given diploma covers, not diplomas.
- After the ceremony, Graduates will exit the same manner in which they entered and unite with families and friends in the parking lot area directly outside the Graduate Entrance area.
- Family and friends are not allowed to enter the Staging Area and/or the area roped off to facilitate the safe entry and exit of Graduates. We appreciate your support.
- Graduates that borrowed the graduation cap, gown, and tassel MUST return it before receiving their diploma.
- Diploma Distribution dates and times:
Monday, June 5th & Tuesday, June 6th, 8am – noon, Main Office
Must bring and return borrowed cap, gown and tassel to receive diploma.
MUST SHOW PICTURE ID!!!
- Please ensure your Graduate wears sun screen and comes well hydrated as the sun may be out for the majority of the ceremony.
- Concessions will be sold by SWC personnel.
We are making every effort to have a dignified ceremony for you and our Graduates. We expect appropriate behavior from all students and request that guests in the stands respect the dignity of the ceremony as well. We join you in honoring the accomplishments of the Class of 2017 and look forward to sharing this moment with you.
If you have any questions about graduation, please feel free to contact the Main Office at 474-9700 or the ASB Office at 474-9750. It has been a pleasure to have your son/daughter at Sweetwater High School. We share your pride and congratulate you as they reach this significant milestone in their life.
The SUHi Administrative Team