Work Permits


Print the application for a work permit (Form_CDE_B1-1l)

  1. Complete the application – Please be sure ALL parties have signed (yourself, parent/guardian, and employer).
    • It is mandatory to provide a social security number
  1. Scan or send a picture of the completed/signed application (CDE B1-1 form) by email either: or

  1. Check your email in approximately 3-5 business days for a response of approval or denial, print your work permit and return to employer.
    • You may begin working immediately if approved
    • If denied, you will be provided a reason why

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements (minimum 2.0 GPA) in order to obtain a work permit. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

Summer Work Permits:

Sweetwater High School District – Sweetwater High School issues work permits for minors enrolled in our district schools and/or programs. Working minors who have not graduated from high school need work permits for their new jobs, even through the summer months. A work permit is needed for every job. Summer work permits expire one week after school starts and minors who are still working must renew their work permit through their school site.


Work permit applications must be printed, completed, signed and scanned to: or

for processing. Information will be verified and a copy of the work permit will be emailed when completed. Requests will be fulfilled in 2-3 business days.

Follow the 4 steps above



  • Minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state proficiency examination
  • Private homes doing occasional odd jobs
  • Sale or delivery of newspaper, if self-employed
  • Self-employment
  • Agricultural or domestic work on property owned, operated, or controlled by minor’s parents

Work Permits Must:

  • Be renewed at the start of each new school year or when the student obtains a new job
  • Be kept on file at the minor’s work site

Workers’ Compensation Insurance:

All minors must be covered by Workers’ Compensation Insurance, including minors employed by parents and minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence

Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work:

Ages 16-17:

School in Session:

  • 4 hours’ maximum per day Monday-Thursday
  • 8 hours’ maximum per day Friday-Sunday
  • 32 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school next day


  • 8 hours’ maximum per day
  • 48 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week

Ages 14-15:

School in Session:

  • 3 hours’ maximum per day Mon.-Fri.
  • 8 hours’ maximum per day Sat.-Sun.
  • 18 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.


  • 8 hours’ maximum per day
  • 40 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week (summer hours 6/1 through Labor Day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)

Ages 12-13:

All Year

Prohibited, subject to Fair Labor Standards Act. For further information, contact:

Federal Wage and Hour Office
(619) 557-5110

Under Age 12:

Prohibited, except in entertainment industry. For entertainment work permits contact:

State Industrial Welfare Commissioner’s Office
(619) 220-5451


  • In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage
  • If an employee works a split shift, he/she must be paid one extra hour at the minimum wage
  • If an employee reports to work but is not given work and is sent home, the employee is owed a minimum of 2 hours of pay
  • If an employee is asked not to clock in, the employee is free to leave and cannot be required to wait without being paid as he/she is under the direction and control of the employer

Prohibited Employment:

Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law

The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.

  • Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)
  • Power-driven woodworking machines
  • Exposure to radioactive substances
  • Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, fork lift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
  • Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
  • Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
  • Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
  • Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears
  • Roofing operations
  • Excavation operations
  • For a complete list, contact the Federal Wage & Hour Office at (619) 557-5110

Minors Under 18 Years of Age:

  • Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
  • Building or construction work of any kind
  • Delivering goods from motor vehicles
  • In the vicinity of moving machinery
  • Hazardous occupations
  • Operating an auto or truck
  • In the vicinity of explosives

Hazardous Occupations for Minors Under 16 Years of Age — California Law

  • In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.
  • Public messenger service.
  • In or about dangerous equipment & power driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.
  • Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.
  • Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:
    • Minors work in pairs as team
    • One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors
    • Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes
    • Returned to home or rendezvous point daily
    • Employer has complied with IWC registration requirements


Sweetwater High School – 2900 Highland Avenue National City, CA 91950

Assistant Principal Office: (619) 474-9710 or